300 XLC Stinger engine rebuild thread

Have you or do you plan on rebuilding your quad? Have something a little different?
Share your progress with us in here. Please keep to one topic per project though.

Moderators: James - Admin, Mick- Can Am

Forum rules
Please stick to one topic per project to try and keep things tidy.

300 XLC Stinger engine rebuild thread

Postby Stinger300XLC » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:21 pm

So I knew my bike needed some work - until I started taking her apart I didn’t realise just how much! Figured I’d put up a thread with some photos of my trials and tribulations along the way.... couldn’t find any threads with the 300 tear down so might be useful for anyone interested in trying this themselves

All started when I had a top end rattle.

Took the covers off and found that the right exhaust valve was set at 0.25... yes correct 0.25. Given within spec is between 0.6-0.10 it was way out of spec. Got it back in spec and moved onto the next task. The head.

Initially thought I’d be able to take the cams off and the cylinder off whilst in the bike - but because of the frame this isn’t possible so the engine has to come out

Massive faff getting it out but got there eventually. 4 engine mount bolts off, chain removed (with thanks to members for the help in solving) unclip a few wires and out she comes. I had purchased two new pistons and ring set with all gaskets as I was getting a lot of smoke on revving. The right plug was covered in oil so figured oil was getting past somehow. So I took the head off and here’s where all the fun begins.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stinger300XLC
40 posts
40 posts

Cash on hand: 0.00
Town/City: Alton
Make. Enter none if you don't have one.: Quadzilla
Model: 300 XLC Stinger
Year of manufacture Enter 0 if none: 2011

Share On:

Share on Twitter Twitter Share on MySpace MySpace

Re: 300 XLC Stinger engine rebuild thread

Postby Stinger300XLC » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:22 pm

Cylinder head was fine. The cylinder itself - not so much. With it removed - somehow the bottom of the right cylinder was cracked Image

You can also see some of the scoring from the piston. Image The bore is fubar’d. The scratches are too deep to attempt machining and didn’t want to run the risk of the piston being too small after so new cylinder has been ordered.

Removed the left piston fine. The right one - would not come off the pin for love nor money. Looking inside it I could see the pin was actually split in two. Took over an hour to remove it and this was the result. It had already split inside the piston before I got to it. Possible cause for the scaring on the bore? Piston too loose?

Image piston very scored and scratched. An actual flat spot on the left where it’s been rounded flat

More to follow once I get back to it

Stinger300XLC
40 posts
40 posts

Postby Stinger300XLC » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:01 pm

Finally managed to get the pin out the piston. And here it is Image

No idea how this happened but it was still running. The piston must not have been able to move freely hence the damage to the bore

Once you put the two pieces together something interesting happened - there’s a piece missing Image

And that missing piece has irritatingly welded itself to the inside of the crank as you may just be able to make out in the picture (but blurry)

That’s now preventing a new piston pin from going in. I’m loathed to split the whole thing and replace the crank so I’ve been gradually filing that down with a metal file. After almost taking a trip to hospital from filing my knuckles down - it’s almost flush. Still not going through because of the smallest of lips preventing it but that will give eventually. Once that’s done I can get back to putting the damn thing back together

Stinger300XLC
40 posts
40 posts

Postby Stinger300XLC » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:16 pm

Success!

Machined the excess down with a dremel tool and the pin now slides in freely. No damage caused to the crank itself.

Now to put it all back together. Waiting on a new base gasket.

She’s eager to get back out there

Stinger300XLC
40 posts
40 posts

• Advertisement

Return to Project Builds