Tyre pressures & stuff!

Post all your non-bike specific technical info in here.

Moderators: James - Admin, Mick- Can Am

Re: Tyre pressures & stuff!

Postby mrtigger » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:37 pm

hi mate my bikes same as yours,obviously suspension level,tires size/profile and weight will affect it but i've found 8 in rear and 7 in front is a nice balance, still responsive but just a tad softer than the point where a nice ride becomes holding on for your life if the car in front hits an ant in the road lol
mrtigger
90 posts or more
90 posts or more

Cash on hand: 3,734.00
Town/City: essex
Make. Enter none if you don't have one.: Barossa
Model: Cheetah 250 AKA Big Fatty
Year of manufacture Enter 0 if none: 2005

Share On:

Share on Twitter Twitter Share on MySpace MySpace

Postby Wolfman » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:27 pm

lol will try those pressures mate cheers. Is yours twin carbs? need to get my idle speed down now that I replaced gaskets! Is it the back screws (nearer air filter) or front ones to adjust?
Wolfman
less than 30 posts
less than 30 posts

Cash on hand: 192.00
Town/City: Barnstaple
Model: Cheetah 250
Year of manufacture Enter 0 if none: 2004

Postby Old'un » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:47 am

You have my deepest sympathies!! :BangHead: :BangHead:

I have a wheel on my motorhome that seeps air and from a "norm" of 46psi it loses about 3psi a week.

I changed all the tyres three years ago and they have all done 37,000 miles. After changing the tyres from one rim to another TWICE I came to the conclusion that it was the rim that was the problem rather than the tyre despite the fact that all the rims looked to be in perfect condition.

At the last attempt to solve the problem one of the guys at the tyre changing service (Bush Tyres here in Skegness) told me that quite a few aluminium alloy rims allowed air to seep out which tends to confirm this theory.

The tyres are due for renewal soon so I too am wondering about "sliming" the new tyres because I am sure as shit fed up with having to top up ONE tyre EVERY week!

I know the slime stuff is a pretty desperate measure but it would almost certainly solve my problem so any comments? :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch:

:icon_salut: :icon_salut:
Old'un

Living more in hope than expectation and seldom disappointed!
Old'un
90 posts or more
90 posts or more

Cash on hand: 4,630.00
Town/City: Skegness
Make. Enter none if you don't have one.: Quadzilla
Model: RS6EFI
Year of manufacture Enter 0 if none: 2014

Postby mrtigger » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:11 pm

yeah mines the twin carb. idle adjustment is the front screws back ones are fuel/air mix. good quick check is with the quad off you're fuel screw should be somewhere between 1 and 2 turns out from fully in. just make sure you count exact turns when you're winding them in. also make sure them, and the idle screws are equally adjusted,mine were a mess when i got it,difference it makes is unreal.

Bit more technical but when it comes to fuel/air if you find when you wind the idle down it tries to stall when you blip the throttle from idle then you had a "false idle" in other words idle was too high but fuel mix was compensating for it :) ideally tune your carbs from stock settings for best results and KEEP THEM EQUAL

**EDIT
The 1 to 2 turns out considers that you still have stock idle jet size. but you should be able to gauge it by how engine runs.

I would take air feed off and make sure both throttle pistons are level and sitting at lowest point,adjust slack on either cable if needed. then screw in idle screw until pistons just start to move then use that as a starting point for a proper tune
mrtigger
90 posts or more
90 posts or more

Cash on hand: 3,734.00
Town/City: essex
Model: Cheetah 250 AKA Big Fatty
Year of manufacture Enter 0 if none: 2005

Postby Wolfman » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:37 pm

Old'un wrote:You have my deepest sympathies!! :BangHead: :BangHead:

I have a wheel on my motorhome that seeps air and from a "norm" of 46psi it loses about 3psi a week.

I changed all the tyres three years ago and they have all done 37,000 miles. After changing the tyres from one rim to another TWICE I came to the conclusion that it was the rim that was the problem rather than the tyre despite the fact that all the rims looked to be in perfect condition.

At the last attempt to solve the problem one of the guys at the tyre changing service (Bush Tyres here in Skegness) told me that quite a few aluminium alloy rims allowed air to seep out which tends to confirm this theory.

The tyres are due for renewal soon so I too am wondering about "sliming" the new tyres because I am sure as shit fed up with having to top up ONE tyre EVERY week!

I know the slime stuff is a pretty desperate measure but it would almost certainly solve my problem so any comments? :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch:

Yeah know what you mean - I'm checking 3 of mine every few days :/ I'm thinking maybe time to use the slime...had them reseated and no joy :y1:
Wolfman
less than 30 posts
less than 30 posts

Cash on hand: 192.00
Town/City: Barnstaple
Model: Cheetah 250
Year of manufacture Enter 0 if none: 2004

Postby Quadbiketyres » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:59 pm

Did they rotate tyre and bead seal them?
Gorilla Axles Only UK Distributor
HighLifters Only UK Dealer

http://www.quadbiketyres.co.uk
Quadbiketyres
90 posts or more
90 posts or more

Cash on hand: 3,145.00
Town/City: Glasgow
Year of manufacture Enter 0 if none: 0

Postby Old'un » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:50 pm

Quadbiketyres wrote:Did they rotate tyre and bead seal them?

On the motorhome the first swap was at 12,000 miles front to back for the wheels and swapped the two off-side tyres over to make sure that the leak wasn't "tyre" related. The tyres were put back on with the usual bead sealant (the one that needs a hydraulic ram to break and makes changing a tyre at home virtually impossible). The "leak" followed the wheel rather than the tyre.

The second swap was corner to corner (to change the direction of rotation) at 24,000 miles because an MoT revealed that the front tracking had been knocked off (probably me hitting the kerbs when parking) and the front tyres were scrubbing off the inside of the tread. Again, the leak followed the wheel rather than the tyre and that was when the guy at Bush tyres commented on aluminium rims.

What makes it a real pain is having to drag out the compressor and check/inflate the tyres (Continental Vanco 2's which are giving excellent service) before I set off on any journey. :BangHead: :BangHead:

Actually, it's only after writing this Post that I have fully realised what an absolute bugger it is!! I've put up with it for over three years on the basis that I check my tyres regularly anyway; but I used to expect them to be okay!!

So, that's it! The new set will be "slimed" with something so ......!!! Any suggestions as to which make is the best?

PS I will go for "slime" rather than replacing the wheel on the basis that with my luck I would get another porous one!! :sign10:
Old'un

Old'un
90 posts or more
90 posts or more

Postby garthtax » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:22 pm

slime wont help a porous wheel ... had this on some alloys before. the only way to fix a porous alloy is to have them refurbished.
garthtax
90 posts or more
90 posts or more

Cash on hand: 8,463.00
Bank: 19,877.00
Town/City: Rosyth
Make. Enter none if you don't have one.: Pro Shark
Model: Beast Mode

Postby Old'un » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:49 am

garthtax wrote:slime wont help a porous wheel ... had this on some alloys before. the only way to fix a porous alloy is to have them refurbished.

Sorry, but why wouldn't it work? Plus, what do they do when they "refurbish" an alloy wheel? :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch:

The rim looks to be perfect so it's not likely that the air is escaping across the bead!

In the good old / bad old days we used to slap an inner-tube inside a tubeless tyre if it didn't work properly (which many of them didn't); but I think that this is now illegal. :icon_scratch:

Old'un

Old'un
90 posts or more
90 posts or more

Postby garthtax » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:00 am

It won't work because of two things.
1. The slime always sits on the tyre not the wheel. Think about it. When stopped it sits on the bottom of the tyre & when running it is flung out to coat the tyre not the rim.
2. The pores that leak air in your alloys are so small the slime with impregnated rubber particles will not clot them.
A refurbished alloy wheel has any imperfections refilled and the whole wheel is re coated.
garthtax
90 posts or more
90 posts or more

Cash on hand: 8,463.00
Bank: 19,877.00
Town/City: Rosyth
Make. Enter none if you don't have one.: Pro Shark
Model: Beast Mode

PreviousNext

• Advertisement

Return to Non-bike Specific Technical Info