KLF 300B Help

Anything related to kawasaki.

Moderators: James - Admin, Mick- Can Am

KLF 300B Help

Postby Sloan » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:06 pm

Hi All

I am just new to the forum and to the world of owning a quad for that matter.

I purchased a semi-running KLF 300B a few months back with the intention of getting it running properly to hopefully use over the summer months.

It does start and idle, albeit with the pull start, as the ignition button currently doesn't work. However when I put it into gear and go to move off it dies out, but starts again and idles no problem. I have had it driving once and the only thing I did was top it up with oil as it has a couple of leaks. I don't know if the two are related, but when it was driving it drove and pulled well. Any thoughts are more than welcomed.

One of the oil leaks seems to be coming from around the pull start, which I did just notice was loose. I tightened this up in the hope that that would cure that oil leak, but when I went then to start it with the pull cord, it pulled out but would not recoil back in until I slacked off the bolts again. Again any thoughts would be more than welcomed.

I am not 100% sure of the year of the quad as I can only make out part of the frame number. It is a KLF 300B 2WD with the light green plastics. If anyone can figure out what sort of age it is from that and has access to parts/service manuals I would like to get in touch.

I know that is alot, but as I said I am new to quads.

Many thanks in advance for any help offered.
Sloan
less than 20 posts
less than 20 posts

Cash on hand: 75.00
Town/City: Coleraine
Make. Enter none if you don't have one.: Kawasaki
Model: KLF 300B
Year of manufacture Enter 0 if none: 96

Share On:

Share on Twitter Twitter Share on MySpace MySpace

Re: KLF 300B Help

Postby mrtigger » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:56 pm

Welcome. Damn tough work horses those things. If you can find a frame number you be able to find out the year. Had a 1989 220 of these as a project for a while. Got it running then got bored and sold it in parts lol. Check for an oil leak at the gear selector shafts as the seals there are prone to failing. And can only be replaced with a full strip down. As for the pull start, it's likely worn/rutted surfaces are rubbing where it use to be smooth and not have so much friction.

As for your running problem. Let it get nice and warm idling first then try. Check the valve clearance as it's easy to access on those engines, and also check for air leaks as most likely culprit would be lean via air leak or a partially blocked jet. If it runs better warm its definitely a fuel/air problem

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
mrtigger
90 posts or more
90 posts or more

Cash on hand: 3,734.00
Town/City: essex
Make. Enter none if you don't have one.: Barossa
Model: Cheetah 250 AKA Big Fatty
Year of manufacture Enter 0 if none: 2005

Postby Sloan » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:41 am

Thanks for the advice.

Any chance you know of any good websites where I good view tutorials/service manuals for my quad?
Sloan
less than 20 posts
less than 20 posts

Cash on hand: 75.00
Town/City: Coleraine
Make. Enter none if you don't have one.: Kawasaki
Model: KLF 300B
Year of manufacture Enter 0 if none: 96

Postby mrtigger » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:49 pm

Ummm I did find service manual, took ages tho. Parts you're limited to used off eBay, most will be in America, or there's one or two sites that still sell new parts but is silly expensive unfortunately

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
mrtigger
90 posts or more
90 posts or more

Cash on hand: 3,734.00
Town/City: essex
Make. Enter none if you don't have one.: Barossa
Model: Cheetah 250 AKA Big Fatty
Year of manufacture Enter 0 if none: 2005

• Advertisement

Return to Kawasaki