Another commute question (crazy distance)

Chat about anything in here.

Moderators: James - Admin, Mick- Can Am

Another commute question (crazy distance)

Postby Hamster » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:43 pm

Hi,
I have just registered to this forum which will utterly crush my dreams. (No offense intended.)
I have read through the "Few questions before purchasing quad", "Which Quad?" and the "Re: Anyone commute on a quad ?" as well as had a peek the other threads which came up with the "commute" search term. Hence, my dreams are already crushed.
So, yes. This is another commute question. But from Norway.
I am new to quads. I would have a 76 mile commute to job. One way. I have read about the high rpm issue. There would be highway driving involved with 63mph speeds. Is there no quad that could take this?
I've also read it'd be very slippery on wet road. And I would be using it year-round... I know I'd need good gear which would cost something...
But I thought this through financely and a car is out of the question. Isurance, petrol, toll roads... That'd cost a fortune. Quad insturance here is 1/2 of that of a car's and it's free for toll roads. I am not sure about mpgs though...
Could you please be constructive in your comments and help out?
Oh, and collective transport is out as well, as it arrives 1.5 hours later than it should... That is the main reason for my looking into alternative means of transportation.
Thank you everyone! :)
Hamster
less than 20 posts
less than 20 posts

Cash on hand: 80.00
Town/City: Oslo
Make. Enter none if you don't have one.: none
Model: none
Year of manufacture Enter 0 if none: 0

Share On:

Share on Twitter Twitter Share on MySpace MySpace

Re: Another commute question (crazy distance)

Postby Dave Morris » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:20 pm

76 miles to and from work is a long way on a quad bike. Quads are a lot more tiring to ride over long distances than a motorcycle. I own a quadzilla 500 xlc and have geared it as high as I can for road use. At a GPS’d 60mph I’m doing about 6400rpm and it redlines at 9100 rpm. Because of the solid back axle (no diff) then anything much over 50 starts to get twitchy. The faster you go the worse it gets. The equivalent quad in Europe is a SMC Wildcat, Explorer trasher 520 and RAM 520 RR. I covered around 15000 road miles and have noticed slight wear on the countershaft splines where the front sprocket sits. If the rest of the engine holds up for another 5 to 10 thousand miles I think I’m in the market for a full tear down of the engine to replace the countershaft. There is no Cush drives that I’m aware of on a sports quad so drive train wear is quite hard. As far as mpg is concerned I get around 45 to the gallon and about 90 miles to a tank of fuel.

Dave
Dave Morris
90 posts or more
90 posts or more

Cash on hand: 350.00
Town/City: Weymouth
Make. Enter none if you don't have one.: Quadzilla
Model: XLC 500

Postby Hamster » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:07 pm

Hi Dave and thank you for your reply,
I was aware of having to tough it up for the 76 miles. I only thought it'd be because of the weather. I did not consider driving technique...
Thank you for the concrete example. I am familiar with the SMC Wildcat. Nice to know it can do 60 and 50 is more realistic with it. Maybe a quad with a rear differential would be more comfortable than?
I reckon the engine teardown is a considerable cost. Judging from the milage you are talking about I'd have to do it annually. That gives me something to consider as I am not a mechanic. The only thing I know is my ride with a car would cost around £915 a month easily. (Insurance, gass and toll roads. Potential downpayment would come in extra. Maintenance and breakdowns would come in extra.)
I really appreciate you sharing real-world fuel economy. That is something I have been unable to get out of people so far.
If I understand correctly, you would take a car on this commute? Or maybe not for the nice figure I have written above? :)
Hamster
less than 20 posts
less than 20 posts

Postby mrtigger » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:04 pm

Honestly I don't see any quad handling this. I have a bike engine converted machine managing 65+mpg and don't think I'd want to put it through that sort of trip, even with a bulletproof cbr engine. Bike is a more realistic solution here to save on the expenses

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
mrtigger
90 posts or more
90 posts or more

Cash on hand: 3,734.00
Town/City: essex
Make. Enter none if you don't have one.: Barossa
Model: Cheetah 250 AKA Big Fatty
Year of manufacture Enter 0 if none: 2005

Postby Hamster » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:38 am

Hello again,
I'd like to thank the two people who replied to my question.
It has become clear to me that a quad is a non-option in my case.
As collective transport was out from the beginning and I would not take a bike during winters, the car, however expensive it is, remains my only option for this commute.
Thank you for your help.
Hamster
less than 20 posts
less than 20 posts

• Advertisement

Return to Anything Goes